Thursday, May 14, 2009

More commentary on Dali

Gala Contemplating the Mediterranean Sea which at Twenty Meters becomes a Portrait of Abraham Lincoln By Dali.

This probably my favorite painting by Dali It was actually a little hard to find a good image of this to link too. (Meaning it wasn't on Wikipedia!) If you are not familiar with this painting, it's really worth it to try and view it from far away and appreciate the full effect. (Ohai Lincoln!)

One of the things Dali really loved to do was paint things that looked like other things.
The title of this one really spells it out for you so there is no surprise.
Still, I think it would be very cool if I were to see this from far away and think "Oh, it's just another Lincoln." and wander closer for a better look, and then think "Oh it's Gala!" (Just in case you didn't know, Gala was his wife/muse. This is a popular pose of her, although he also painted her balancing two lamb chops on her shoulder. Seriously!)

I really like the two little tiles at about leg level on the left side, showing the two images that the painting combines.

Now being the person I am, when I contemplate Gala's figure I don't admire Dali's skills. I wonder if her bum was actually ever that nice or if he added some enhancements. (Well, he was painting from memory after all )

Now if someone painted this today, I wouldn't be very impressed because of, you know, computers, which would make it very easy to do this sort of thing (planning and testing the concept I mean) but this was done in 1976, So I'm pretty impressed.

Dali would have made one heck of a pixel artist.

This doesn't actually hurt my brain very much. I'll get to the ones that actually do at some point in the future.....

No comments: